Band 7 Advanced Specialist Speech and Language
Advanced Specialist Speech and Language Therapist (Band 7)
Salary grade £41,070 – £52,106 per annum
Department/ward Therapy services
Closing date 24 January 2022
Founded in 1854, the RHN is a well-respected, national charitable hospital and research centre, providing services for adults with acquired brain injuries and neurological conditions. We provide specialist care, therapies and innovative technologies to meet the complex needs of people with profound disabilities. We pride ourselves on caring for patients as individuals, offering hope, as well as practical and emotional support, to them and their families.
An opportunity has arisen for a motivated individual with proven clinical skills to join the Speech and Language Therapy team at the RHN. The post holder will be based in Continuing Care which delivers highly specialised care and offers disability management to patients with a range of neurological conditions and complex disabilities. Continuing Care includes the following services: Neuro-behavioural rehabilitation Unit, ventilator units, young disabled unit, Huntington’s disease unit and Specialist nursing home.
- To provide a high-level specialist SLT service consisting of assessment, differential diagnosis, interpretation, treatment, management and evaluation of outcomes of adults with acquired brain injury resulting in complex communication and swallowing disorders including use of assistive technology where indicated using a holistic person-centred approach to assessment and management.
- To be responsible for managing a highly complex defined caseload independently,
providing a flexible and prioritised highly specialist SLT service, targeting appropriate
intervention where needed and evaluating outcomes.
- To make highly specialist clinical decisions following assessment, including referrals to other services and professions as appropriate e.g. FEES, videofluoroscopy,
- To work as part of an integrated multidisciplinary team, contributing appropriately to
patient care plans, goal setting and multidisciplinary meetings.
- To demonstrate high standards of clinical record keeping reflecting highly specialist
knowledge, ensuring contemporaneous and accurate case notes, well defined and
achievable goals and clear reports in line with RCSLT and HCPC standards and
- To employ appropriate strategies to manage adults with challenging behaviours
where required, including the application of appropriate management strategies and
recognising when to refer or access specialist support from the neuro-behavioural
- To counsel and advise patients with highly complex needs and their caregivers
regarding swallowing and feeding problems and their impact, sometimes in emotive
and ethical situations regarding possible management options including advanced
decision-making, risk feeding and quality of life issues.
- To participate in providing cover across other parts of the SLT service as required.
- To provide clinical supervision and line management to less experienced SLTs, technical instructors and students as needed.
- Recognised Speech and Language Therapy Degree or equivalent; Health Care Professions Council license to practice; Registered Member of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists Essential
- Membership of relevant special interest group /CEN Desirable
- Training in clinical supervision for SLT students, and able to supervise junior colleagues Essential
- Ability to manage tracheostomy patients independently Desirable
- Good team member able to assume leadership responsibilities Essential
- Experience in specialist assessment, diagnosis and management of adults presenting with a range of communication and swallowing disorders in a relevant field (Disorders of Consciousness, cognitive-communication impairment, aphasia, locked-in syndrome etc.) including referring for instrumental swallowing examination where indicated. Essential
- Experience in assessing communication to contribute to mental capacity assessments. Essential
- Competent FEES assessor Desirable
- Level 2 endoscopy competencies achieved Desirable
For further information about this role, please contact Acting Clinical Lead Speech and Language Therapist, Erin Probert on email@example.com