Estates Senior Maintenance Technician (Electrical Bias)
Estates Senior Maintenance Technician (Electrical Bias)
Up to £39,000 Per Annum (Depending on experience)
The RHN is a leading national centre of excellence, providing adult person-centred services that span the entire care pathway from post-acute rehabilitation services to end of life care, for people with complex Neuro-disability and their families, underpinned by a strong research and education programme.
The Estates department of the RHN is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Estate, including the management of the building services related contracts. The department is also responsible for carrying out a variety of projects throughout the RHN in conjunction with other departments.
Main Objectives of the role-
- Demonstrate an awareness of RHN’s objectives and contribute to achieving them appropriately. Strive to improve efficiency in all areas of your work.
- To undertake minor repairs to items within the responsibility of the Estates department liaising with other departments in the building.
- To effectively support other Technicians, Maintenance Supervisor and the Maintenance Manager in ensuring works both reactive and planned are carried out in a safe, timely and cost effective manner.
- To assist where possible in statutory testing and inspections as required at frequencies as directed, testing such as hoist inspection, shower trolley inspection, water management et al; thus assuring the wellbeing of patient’s staff and visitors to the hospital.
- To identify way and measures of improvement to assure the future operation of the Estates department remains smooth and innovative.
- Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor in ensuring the RHN Estate is maintained in accordance with industry best practice, to the appropriate quality and standards expected within a healthcare establishment.
- To maintain a high quality environment for both clinical and non-clinical staff, patients and visitors.
- Undertake reactive and planned maintenance tasks as required within given priorities and time frames as generated from CAFM system and in accordance with relevant statutory, trade bodies and manufacturers requirements.
- Provide technical advice to other estates staff and contractors to ensure compliance with health and safety standards and procedure. Execute a range of controlled operations e.g. isolations, interruptions of electrical and mechanical supplies, under guidance;
- Undertakes surveys or audits and new equipment acceptance testing (PAT) as required and assist line manager with procedures including maintenance programmes for new equipment and regulatory changes.
- To attain Authorised Persons (A/P) appointments for Medical Gas, Electrical LV and Competent Persons C/P Water Safety
- To perform Authorised Person duties for Electrical LV Services
- Lead on a range of controlled operations for Electrical LV Services.
- Lead on the delivery of thermal imaging and fixed wire testing of electrical circuits.
- Lead on the maintenance and testing of RHN emergency lighting systems
- Participation in the RHN Estates On–Call Rota.to undertake any other duties which is deemed appropriate to the positon when requested by Senior Staff.
- Undertake the role of Authorised Person in relation to Electrical LV Services.
- To assist in all aspects of works undertaken by both the department but also outside sub-contractors working on the hospitals behalf
- To carry out or assist general maintenance including buildings, equipment servicing and repairs throughout the Hospital. To advise and assist contractors working on site as necessary. To take a proactive role in projects and undertake refurbishments throughout the Hospital. Assisting in defining and planning of project works and refurbishments around the Estate.
- To assist if required in carrying out meter readings of all utilities supplied to the Hospital at the end of each calendar month.
- To be conversant or become familiar with specialist healthcare equipment and to assist in repairs where possible. Undertake minor condition surveys, evaluating inspection reports and maintenance repairs, improvement and minor capital work across the estate as directed by management, ensuring compliance with Statutory Regulations, HTM / HBNs, and RHN safety standards and procedures.
- To assist in ensuring contractors maintain statutory and general records on engineering and building plant services within the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act and other statutory codes of professional good practice.
- To effectively communicate both verbally and written any issue related to the effective running of the Estate with other Technicians and the Maintenance Supervisor.
- To be aware of all the safety policies of the hospital and to assist in enforcing them at all times. To effectively undertake duties as required and within skill set safely where required by the Maintenance Supervisor and Maintenance Manager.
- To carry out with minimum supervision, maintenance, faultfinding, repairs and installation work on all facilities, plant and equipment throughout the RHN Estate. Working on the full range Estates services equipment, the Estates Senior Maintenance Technician will undertake activities which require analysis to resolve technical issues on multifaceted equipment/situations many of which have a direct impact on patient safety and the built environment.
- Responsible for calibration and fault finding on a wide range of engineering plant and equipment including various voltage systems, medical gas systems, nurse call systems, lighting, fire detection, building services controls, standby generator plant, heating and ventilation control systems and refrigeration plant. Lead on the Undertaking of weekly Fire Alarm testing, monthly Generator test and other statutory testing requirements.
Person Specification: Essential and Desirable
- City & Guilds Mechanical / Electrical Level 3 NVQ or Equivalent. Essential
- Previous experience working in a hospital or similar environment. At least 2 years in a similar role. Essential
- Working on new and old installations, control systems, plant and equipment breakdowns, fault finding, rectifications and planned preventative maintenance (PPM) on a wide range of technical mechanical & electrical plant and equipment found in a typical engineering or healthcare environment. Essential
- Able to work safely at heights, within confined spaces (subject to suitable training). Able to satisfy the physical demands of the job. Able to understand and comply with the requirements of RHNs H&S policies (subject to suitable training). Essential
- Good communication skills with the ability to work independently and without supervision. Must be adaptable to change. Essential.
- Adopt a flexible approach with the ability to work as part of a team and co-ordinate work with other trades. Essential
- To attend and fully participate in training provided by the RHN. Essential
- Neat and tidy appearance. Good timekeeping and attendance record. Essential
If you would like to discuss further the great opportunities we have on offer please phone / email us. For any general queries or to book an informal chat with our Head of Estates Derek Bannister (email@example.com).
To download the job description for this role, Click here.
To apply please click link below:-Candidate Login – Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability (rhn.org.uk)
**Candidates applying for a role at the Royal Hospital for Neuro Disability will be expected to have received their vaccination against the coronavirus strain (COVID19) as part of our pre-employment process before commencing employment at the RHN. Please let us know if you have not managed to arrange to receive the vaccine via other channels yet, as we are able to arrange the administration of the vaccine within the hospital. Please note that if you have a medical reason as to why you are not able to have the vaccine or you have any questions on the vaccination, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org**