Swallowing and Nutrition: Navigating Risk, Complexity and Ethical Dilemmas
This comprehensive and practical one-day course focuses on complex ethical and risk management issues when working with people with swallowing impairments and/or difficulties achieving adequate nutrition and hydration.
The course has a strong focus on multi-disciplinary team (MDT) management, and is suitable for all members of the MDT, especially speech and language therapists, dietitians, psychologists, doctors, occupational therapists and nurses.
This course will cover the following key areas:
- assessing capacity and best interest decisions
- advanced decision making
- the law and legislation relevant to this clinical field
- managing conflict and disagreements
- risk feeding vs enteral tube feeding
- ethical considerations in complex cases
Speakers will be experienced clinicians from the MDT at the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability and case studies will be used.
Advanced Specialist Speech and Language Therapist
Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability