Royal Patronage p.II
The hospital is lucky to have had many royal visits.
In 1932, King George V and Queen Mary came on a surprise visit to the hospital, staying for nearly two hours. They visited the hospital’s extensive buildings, signed the Visitors’ Book, shook hands and chatted with many of the patients. Before leaving, Their Majesties graciously expressed their interest in and satisfaction with what they had seen. Subsequently, the hospital received a letter from Buckingham Palace, saying how much the King and Queen had enjoyed their visit, and ‘how splendidly everything had been arranged’.
Other Royal visitors have included HRH Princess Royal (Princess Anne) in 2001, and HRH The Earl of Wessex (Prince Edward), who opened the Haberdashers’ House extension in 2010.